Vaginal rejuvenation isn’t usually out there in the everyday conversation. But it’s a problem for many women. Excessive relaxation of the vaginal muscles is a common occurrence following childbirth or simply due to the natural laxity that comes with aging. It’s a problem that can take much of the fun out of your sex life, and that can impact your relationship.
Dr. Walden is the first physician in Austin to offer ThermiVa, a non-invasive vaginal tightening procedure that uses radiofrequency energy to achieve skin tightening, as well as single-treatment Viveve. Both are viable and efficacious treatments, and a consult with one of our top-notch aestheticians can help guide you to the one that is best for your needs.
Why noninvasive vaginal rejuvenation?
A woman’s tissues in her vagina can become relaxed after vaginal childbirth and due to simple aging. Vaginal rejuvenation and tightening has many benefits. It…
- Improves the appearance of the vagina
- Relieves discomfort during sex
- Aids in proper hygiene
- Can increase sexual satisfaction
- Can boost self-confidence
Beyond revitalizing a woman’s sex life, ThermiVa with Dr. Walden can help with two types of incontinence that arise from vulvovaginal laxity.
- Urinary incontinence— This embarrassing condition involves the involuntary loss of urine. Although urinary incontinence is not a serious health condition, it can be very embarrassing and make a person avoid certain social situations. Urinary incontinence is common for women during and after pregnancy.
- Stress incontinence— Stress incontinence is a voluntary loss of urine that occurs when a physical movement places pressure, or stress, on the bladder. Stress incontinence is common in women who have had multiple pregnancies where childbirth has stretched the urethral sphincter.
How does ThermiVa work?
Like in all skin, collagen is the key. When radiofrequency energy is applied to the dermis, the skin’s second layer, the body responds by producing more collagen. When existing collagen is heated, the molecules contract, remodeling and reorganizing their network, both tightening the skin and encouraging new collagen to be produced. Studies have show RF also increases vascularity or blood supply to the local anatomy, helping with lubrication, sensation, and potentially the ability to orgasm.
With ThermiVa, a small wand applicator is used to deliver the radiofrequency energy both to the interior walls of the vagina and to the external labia and other tissues. This energy delivery is non-invasive, and there isn’t any downtime. But once delivered, it immediately begins tightening the interior and exterior tissues. The effects last for around two years, at which point the ThermiVa procedure can be done again.
Viveve involves a small applicator for the inner vagina, and a shorter one time only treatment.
Tired of laxity with reduced sensation? Call Dr. Walden’s MedSpa at 512.328.4100 and ask us about ThermiVa or Viveve.