Sexual Wellness Supports Good Health
- Posted on: Sep 30 2018
D During early adulthood, it may feel as though there is no such thing as too much sex. Over time, as we settle into a relationship, a career, and family life, sex can be the first thing to go onto the back-burner. Combine lifestyle changes with the effects of aging and we might reach a point where we find more reasons why we’re not having sex than why we should.
Sex supports good health by:
- Raising oxytocin levels. Oxytocin is involved in our feelings of happiness, and production gets a boost from sex, self-pleasure, and even from cuddling.
- Making you more productive and engaged at work. Could sex improve your professional life? According to a study published in the Journal of Management, it just might. On daily questionnaires, employers who reported having sex in between work shifts were observed to report feeling more engaged and happy at work than those who did not have sex.
- Warding off erectile dysfunction. In a five-year Finnish study, researchers found that men in the 55 to 75-year-old age category were half as likely to develop ED when they had sex once a week or more.
- Boosting immunity. Studies suggest that men and women who have sex regularly also have higher levels of an antibody called immunoglobulin A (IgA). This antibody is critical to disease prevention.
- Lowering stress. The release of oxytocin and endorphins don’t just make us feel happier; they also make us feel relaxed, which is precisely what we need to combat the hustle and bustle of daily living.
How to Support Your Sex Life
Ok, so you understand that sex is integral to your relationship and your overall sense of well-being. What do you do when you or your partner (or both of you) have lost your Mojo? Sometimes, lifestyle strategies like planning a playful date or engaging in a hobby together can work some magic. However, many of the people we meet need more help between the sheets.
Hormonal issues and aging can have a remarkable effect on sexual wellness. In our Austin practice, we provide several treatments to address issues such as erectile dysfunction, vaginal dryness, and overall lack of drive. These range from the O-Shot and P-Shot to vaginal rejuvenation and bioidentical hormone therapy.
Posted in: Sexual Wellness